Back to the Classics Challenge 2015

I'm signing up for Karen's Back to the Classics Challenge again!  Here are (some of) the rules, which I have edited for brevity--follow the link to read everything and sign up yourself.


It's back!!  Once again, I'm hosting the Back to the Classics Challenge.  I'm hoping to encourage bloggers to read more classics.  By reading and posting about a minimum of six classic books, one lucky winner will receive a $30 gift from Amazon.com or The Book Depository!

This year I've made two changes to the format.  First of all, there are no required categories.  That's right!!  If there is a category you don't like (or more than one), you can just skip it, and still qualify for the drawing!


Secondly, I've increased the categories from eleven to twelve.  I had so much fun choosing categories, I couldn't decide, and so this year I've decided to make it an even dozen.  This results in a slight change to the way I'll calculate entries into the drawing.  Here's how it's going to work:
•    Complete six categories and you get one entry.
•    Complete nine categories, and you get two entries.
•    Complete all twelve categories, and your name is entered into the drawing three times!

 
So without further ado, here are the categories for the Back to the Classics Challenge 2015:
 

1.  A 19th Century Classic -- any book published between 1800 and 1899.
 

2.  A 20th Century Classic -- any book published between 1900 and 1965.  Just like last year, all books must have been published at least 50 years ago to qualify as a classic. 
 

3.  A Classic by a Woman Author.
 

4.  A Classic in Translation.
 

5.  A Very Long Classic Novel -- a single work of 500 pages or longer.  
 

6.  A Classic Novella -- any work shorter than 250 pages.
 

7.  A Classic with a Person's Name in the Title.  First name, last name, or both, it doesn't matter, but it must have the name of a character.  David Copperfield, The Brothers Karamazov, Don Quixote -- something like that. It's amazing how many books are named after people!
 

8.  A Humorous or Satirical Classic.
 

9.  A Forgotten Classic.  This could be a lesser-known work by a famous author, or a classic that nobody reads any more.
 

10.  A Nonfiction Classic.  A memoir, biography, essays, travel, this can be any nonfiction work that's considered a classic, or a nonfiction work by a classic author.
 

11.  A Classic Children's Book.
 

12.  A Classic Play. 

At this point, I have no inkling of a clue about what I will read for all of these categories.  Next year's reading is still very nebulous in my mind, except that I want to give myself a little bit more freedom to choose whatever I want, so I'm trying to cut back on challenges.  I think what I'm going to do is sign up for my favorite few, but mostly fit my reading into them instead of coming up with a list beforehand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Four Ages of Poetry

Ozathon #1: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz